PETER GAGO & PENFOLDS - A LEGENDARY MATCH
SINCE 1844, PENFOLDS HAS PLAYED A PIVOTAL ROLE IN THE EVOLUTION OF WINEMAKING WITH A HISTORY & HERITAGE THAT PROFOUNDLY REFLECTS AUSTRALIA'S JOURNEY FORM COLONIAL SETTLEMENT TO THE MODERN ERA.
PENFOLDS CHIEF WINEMAKER
Peter joined the winemaking team in 1989, initially in the craftsmanship of sparkling wines, before moving to reds as Penfolds Red Wine Maker. In 2002 Peter became the fourth Chief Winemaker for Penfolds. Together with his fellow winemakers, Peter’s careful custodianship has ensured that Grange and the other ‘older’ members of the Penfolds family have continued to set the benchmark for their style and quality, while new additions to the range push the boundaries eveN wider. Peter Gago has found a great deal of success and has received a number of awards during his time at Penfolds.
- 2017 Companion of the Order of Australia (AC) for service to the wine industry
- 2014 Winemaker of the Year and recipient of the Len Evans Award for Leadership from Gourmet Traveller WINE (Australia)
- 2012 Winemaker's Winemaker Award from The Institute of the Masters of Wine and The Drinks Business (UK)
- 2007 Winemaker of the Year by The Barons of the Barossa (Australia)
- 2005 Winemaker of the Year from Wine Enthusiast Magazine
PENFOLDS GRANGE 2014
GIFT BOX SIGNED BY PETER GAGO
"A Grange to create new friends – this 2014 offering a subtly different structural mosaic; different tone and timbre."
Peter Gago, Chief Winemaker
PENFOLDS WINEMAKING PHILOSOPHY
“A great wine is one where the second half of the glass tastes better than the first and on finishing the bottle the only complaint is ‘Why didn’t we open a magnum?’"